Anything is possible. You can be told that you have a 90-percent chance or a 50-percent chance or a 1-percent chance, but you have to believe, and you have to FIGHT



Lance Armstrong

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Feeling weak

I have officially hit a wall. I feel like i am giving up. I can't even begin to explain how much i hurt for all of you mothers you have it WAY worse than i do. This is really not that big of a deal but Dr Rose called today and said the blood work we had done on Monday was still concerning, low blood sugar and low (something else, can't even remember) but it means she's still dehydrated. He wants me to take her again in the morning to see what her numbers are. Well since all she has done since Monday is poop, i'm pretty sure they won't be real great. I am so scared they are going to put her back in the hospital. I can't do it again. I can't even take her to the lab to get stuck again, i've asked my mom to please take her. Let me tell you the problems with the arm stickers at Mckay Dee. They aren't trained in pediatrics, or if they are, they need more. At Primarys, they were so good at finding veins, but when i take her to the lab here it's always the same story, "We need to strap her down, she's soo strong!" "We can't find a vein, her veins are so tiny!" " We need to try the other arm" "O this arm is worse!" ...and so on. After 20 minutes of hyperventalating from screaming so hard, 3-4 pokes later, 2 pink arm bands, and a treat from the box (let's be honest, that does NOT help!) we are headed home. Seriously so heart wrenching. I know, i'm being a baby. I am trying to be strong, i just needed to vent :)
Help me, give me advice on how to stay strong for my baby girl. I am weak.

10 comments:

Mindi D said...

Ok all i needed to do was to head on over to another blog to feel better, guilty and stronger! I can do this, it's ok. Libbi knows i love her, and i need to be her strong mommy! It could be MUCH worse :)

Allison said...

You can do this. If she has to be checked in for a few hours to get IV fluids, it is ok. There are much much worse things and I know you know that. It is never easy to see your baby hurting. At the hospital tomorrow, be sure to have your mom demand that the IV team be called. Every hospital has one and they are nurses who specialize in getting those who are hard sticks. You should not have to put up with the lab techs who do their best, but just aren't trained. Good luck tomorrow!

Michelle said...

Mindi,it's so tough to be in our shoes. Our kiddos go through so much. This is what I would do.. if you take her to McKay Dee ONLY have the IV team poke her (I agree with the previous post). OR I would just take her to Primary's. I know it's a pain with traffic and distance, but may be worth it for the overall experience. We live in Provo and I'll only go to Primary's (even for labs). They know Madison and I know them. It's just a better experience. If you need me to meet you at Primary's to help watch your other kiddos I will. OR we can coordinate Libbi's labs with Madison's. Let me know. I'd be happy to help in any way. Good luck. You can do this!

Becca said...

So sorry that you are going through this right now. I have had my share of meltdowns with the pokes. Ellie is a hard poke too. I now give them one try and then I make them get the IV team. I too won't go anywhere but Primary's. They just know how to deal with the issue, plus with her heart in mind. Hang in there! I am here if you need me!

Becca-Ellie's mom

Jamie said...

Mindi you are so strong!! Stop doubting yourself! I know I couldn't deal with everything you've had to deal with. Hang in there... you're doing great!

Unknown said...

Mindi you are strong and you can do this! Libbi needs you and she will be fine. Her poor little bruised arms should be an alert that the IV team needs to be called. You know I will take her or I will go with you. Stay strong!!

Unknown said...

Ok after reading Masons blog I know YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I feel so helpless that there is so little I can do for this family. Hang in there!! Love you!

Michelle said...

Mindi,
I will be at Primary's tomorrow morning at 8:00am. Call me if you want to do Libbi's labs there, or if you need any help.
(801) 649-9551.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Netso said...

One of my favorite songs says, " I may be weak, but I'm never defeated, and I still believe in clouds with sweet silver linings" we are all weak at times, but we can choose to not be defeated. You can do this!!!

This is Paul Cardell's CHD video. (I put it at the bottom of the blog, it fits best there..) It is shocking how many people, young and old are dealing with the same type of things we are. Take 9 minutes and watch, these are some of the cutest babies i've seen!! Libbi is about 6 and a half minutes into the video. (make sure you scroll down and pause my music playlist so you can hear his music, he is a pianist, it is very pretty!)

Paul Cardell CHD Video